Wednesday 2 May 2012

Looking at Different woods

One of the ideas that came from chatting with my tutor was that the legs could possibly be wooden and attached to the polypropylene seat. So i started looking at different woods and there properties.

One thing i was fully sure about was that I wanted  the legs to be a dark colour so black or grey would be the first choices.



I firstly thought of using black ash wood for my product . I like the colour and texture of it but the only problem it had was that it was very easily decayed (maybe not a instant problem but still). I am also not sure of how heavy it can be but the wood I do use needs to be strong durable and light.

I then looked at walnut which was the wrong direction. Its a heavy wood and does not look great if i am honest and is used for carved decorations then for solid furniture.




I then came across beech. It receives different stains and finishes well and is used in to make light furniture so that is a bonus. I like the texture and I think it would be strong and durable but....


Birch is all the qualities i want to have for the legs and I already know it is well tested and used in furniture manufacture. The company IKEA use this wood a lot in there products which is a big thumbs up to the wood being good.

I will still stain it black till its close to the colour of the polypropylene, fiberglass seat. The legs will be attached using screws and the fitting its self is already part of the chair injection molded chair.

This is the texture i will be using and then colour i would like it to be or as close to as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment