Tuesday 1 May 2012

Will the polyproplene process work ?

I have done a quick look into researching the injection process of one single piece , and if this will be strong enough and work. My findings have been informative.



To the left is the Bellini chair designed by Mario Bellini. He has made the chair using the injection molding process and the chair is a single piece, no seams no blemishes. The one difference to my idea of just using polypropylene is that the chair is a mix of both polypropylene and fiberglass. This gives added strength and durability.

From seeing this I wanted to see other mixes of materials that other designers have used.

This is the Mem chair by Kristalia. The chair is again made in injection molding and is reinforced with glass. From this description I assume its fiberglass and not just glass used. I am keen to use fiberglass to strength my own chair.

I also did come across another small piece of information.




This is the Lisboa chair designed by Jon Gaspar. Its is a single piece again that only uses polypropylene only. The process is different though using injection molding that is gas assisted. I am unsure if this makes them hollow. Either way I will be using injection molding to make a solid object.

After scrolling down I did see that the Lisboa chair is polypropylene and fiberglass.

I will now be using a mix of polypropylene and fiberglass to make my chair and using the injection molding process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment